- One (1) Full-Time Administrative Assistant
- Business/Finance diploma or equivalent
- Computer literate and demonstrated proficiency with a variety of software programs including: Simply Accounting, Microsoft Word, Excel, Accuro
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping, payroll, benefit plan administration, financial reporting, income tax preparation and filings, and mandatory Ministry remittance, etc
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, and in a professional manner respecting financial and patient confidentiality
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingualism French/English an asset
- Solid interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good judgement
- Time management and priority setting abilities
Interested applicants can submit their resumes in confidence to N. Ewen no later than: Friday, August 31, 2018 at 1600 hours.
Nancy Ewen, Executive Director
Elliot Lake Family Health Team
31 Nova Scotia Walk
Elliot Lake, Ontario
Position Description: Administrative Assistant
The Administrative Assistant performs administrative tasks, on a priority basis, that support the functions of the Administrator, Physician Lead and the Board/Executive.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs clerical duties for the Family Health Team (FHT) Administrator, Physician Lead, and Board/Executive.
- Processes correspondence, drafts replies and processes other routine tasks associated with the Administrator's functions.
- Coordinates Board of Director/Executive meetings, including booking of rooms, catering, compiling and processing of minutes, distribution of meeting agendas and materials.
- Researches, collects, and compiles data through inquiries, Internet and library searches, as requested by the Administrator. Orders and receives resources as identified by Administrator.
- Routine bookkeeping tasks such as accounts payable, preparing invoices and bank deposits
- Assists in the development and production of internal communications and public relations materials.
- Maintains administrative manuals (e.g. administrative manual, equipment/warranty filing).
- Open/sort/route incoming mail on behalf of Executive Director
Planning and Development
- Participate in business planning
- Assist in the development and implement financial policies and procedures
- Assist in the evaluation of accounting procedures, cash management strategies, and make recommendations for changes to improve practices when required
- Assist with compilation of budget data and documents based on estimated fund allocations, expenses and previous budgets
Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Establish, maintain and balance separate ledger of accounts for funds allocated by the MOHLTC
- Process, verify and balance financial records and business transactions
- Perform month-end closing functions (e.g. account reconciliation, and bank reconciliations
- Provide physicians with monthly revenues less operational base cost with adjustment made at yearend
- Work with payroll processing service to facilitate payroll processing (e.g. to provide payroll information changes to payroll)
- Prepare or assist new hires in completing income forms such as TD1 – Personal Tax Credit Returns
- Verify payroll output package, which includes payroll output, employee payments, and payroll reports and report discrepancies
- Ensure Record of Employment (ROE) are forwarded to Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC)
- Verify balance of statutory deductions and applicable company portions with government agencies
- Calculate and provide vacation or termination pay, if required
Benefit Plan Administration
- Assist in the administration of group insurance and pension plans
- Complete forms for enrollment, retirement, or termination of employment
- Distribute communication materials from plan suppliers
- Examine accounting records and prepare monthly and quarterly consolidated financial statements, forecasts and reports
- Perform variance analysis and prepare monthly reports of actual versus budget performance
- Prepare financial reports for MOHLTC to reconcile actual expenses with funds allocated for each agreement and/or program
- Analyze account activity in ledgers to make recommendations and conclusions to FHT Administrator and Executives for improved management
- Act as the key liaison to the requirements of external auditors for each quarterly report, and year-end financial statements
- Prepare ad-hoc financial and statistical reports as required
Income Tax Preparation and Filings
- Examine financial accounts and records to prepare annual income tax returns
- Assist to coordinate with payroll processing service to prepare and validate employer information returns such as T4/T4A slips and related Summary, and file to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA)
- Complete and submit remittance forms, workers’ compensation form, insurance and pension contribution forms and other government documents
Internal Control and Regulatory Compliance
- Monitor and control expenditures for each separate fund allocation
- Ensure financial recording accuracy and compliance with: established accounting standards, procedure and internal control safeguards; provisions of the Income Tax Act, Corporations Act (Ontario) or other statutory requirements; other regulating agencies
- Keep financial records in accordance with CCRA requirements and other guidelines, including regulations governing record retention and destruction
The above responsibilities are not to be considered all - inclusive; may be assigned other related duties in the interest of efficient operations of a Family Health Team.
Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and impartiality
- Capacity to adapt quickly to a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven participatory work style; ability to work independently and with a team (e.g. ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Exercises good judgment
- Competence with Microsoft Office with intermediate skills in Excel
- Experience with clinical management system (CMS), preferably Accuro, would be an asset
Education and Specific Job Requirements
- Post-secondary education in a related field such as business administration
- Proficiency in computer applications: Windows, Microsoft Office programs, Email and Internet Research.
- Demonstrated planning, organization, problem solving, research and analysis, written and oral communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Medical office experience
- Experience in healthcare field
- Experience in administrative office environment including demonstrated competence in word processing, minute taking, public liaison, telephone message intake, drafting policy and procedures.
- Consults with the ELFHT Executive Director for day-to-day operations.
Key Relationships and Interactions
- Collaborative physicians
- Allied Health Professionals
- Functions as a member of the Elliot Lake Family Health Team
- Liaises with community agencies, other health providers and outside regulatory and accrediting agencies as required
Hours of Work: Full-time
Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.